Genda Inc., a dynamic entertainment conglomerate rooted in arcade gaming, has acquired a controlling share stake in Gaga Corporation, a prominent Japanese indie film company. The 78% share, previously held by Gaga chairman Tom Yoda’s T.Y. Limited, has been purchased by Genda. Notably, Yoda retains the remaining 22% and will continue to serve as Gaga’s chairman and representative director. The transaction’s value has not been disclosed.
Under the new management structure, Sato Yuzo, Genda’s director and Chief Creative Officer, assumes the role of representative director and President/CEO. Meanwhile, Kataoka Nao, founder and representative director and chairman of the board at Genda, becomes the director of the board at Gaga. Despite these changes, the senior management team at Gaga remains unchanged.
Established in 1986, Gaga has operated as a producer, distributor, and sales agent. During Yoda’s 15-year tenure, the company has successfully distributed seven Oscar best picture winners in Japan, such as “CODA” and “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” along with four Palme d’Or winners, including “Shoplifters” and “Anatomy of a Fall.”
Gaga now aims to diversify further into anime production, international co-production, games, and character businesses derived from anime, utilizing omnidirectional windows, including digital platforms. These ambitions align seamlessly with Genda’s vision of becoming the world’s leading entertainment company, with a focus on expanding and strengthening its global entertainment content business.
Genda launched just four years ago, has made strategic acquisitions, establishing a core business with ownership or operation of approximately 260 amusement arcades, many under the GiGO brand. Additional acquisitions cover cinema advertising, popcorn, character design, and VR content development.
Tom Yoda expressed excitement about the collaboration, highlighting the close relationship established with Mr. Kataoka of Genda since 2017. Yoda emphasized shared vision and values, stating that they are eager to work together to generate synergies for both companies. Looking ahead, Yoda envisions a dynamic future, stating, “For the 40th anniversary of Gaga in 2026, we will keep going full throttle with the multi-portfolio strategy with Genda.”
Genda Inc. is associated with Aeon Entertainment, a major retail conglomerate in Japan, operating supermarkets, convenience stores, hypermarkets, malls, consumer credit firms, and the Aeon Cinema chain.